Map


View Baseball Road Trips in a larger map

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Cities

As I sit here for a second day on the train, looking to pass some time, I thought it would be a fun activity to come up with a "Top Ten" list for my favorite cities during Baseball Road Trips. Here we go...

1. Vancouver, BC

Maybe it was the product of the nature of the road trip, but Vancouver was a simply stunning beauty of a town. I really enjoyed biking in the urban center of the downtown and the inner-oasis of Stanley Park. Things just seemed to make sense there, and I would love to go back. 

2. San Francisco, CA

Cable Cars, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf...how can you go wrong in San Francisco? What's interesting is how I have been there so many times that I am now very familiar with the geography and layout of it. 

3. Seattle, WA

While it is a little spendy, Seattle is one of my all-time favorites. Now that it has become a sort of "home" city for Baseball Road Trips, my appreciation of the city has only grown. 

4. Portland, OR

My bias is showing with an Oregon city, but Portland is great. The only downside is that baseball is no longer being played at the classic PGE Park. 

5. San Diego, CA

Here's what's so great about San Diego: it isn't Los Angeles. Both times I've been to San Diego have been after experiencing Los Angeles. San Diego is a beautiful city in its own right, however. The weather is great, public transportation rocks, and it had such a great vibe to it. 

6. Colorado Springs, CO

When it comes to pure natural beauty, Colorado Springs is probably number one. The way the moutains but right up against the city is sublime. When I was walking to the Sky Sox park, I had to stop every few minutes just to admire the Rocky Mountains behind me and the Great Plains in front. The lack of public transportation knocks it down a few pegs, though. 

7. Pittsburgh, PA

I can see why some people call Pittsburgh "The American Venice". The three rivers that converge in a city that has worked dry hard to rehabilitate its image made for a wonderful road trip. And those green hills surrounding the city are absolutely fantastic. 

8. New York, NY

Kind of had to have this city on here. I love the public transportation, the tall buildings and the history. The ballparks weren't too shabby either. But, lets face reality here, how many have, at one point in our lives, wanted to live in NYC? 

9. Chicago, IL

Like above, kind of had to have this city. While I certainly didn't explore it as thoroughly as some of the other cities, walking in the neighborhoods on the South Side and Wrigleyville gave me the opportunity to see just how important communty studies are. 

10. Spokane, WA

People give Spokane a bad rap, but I kind of liked it. It was big city enough to have that sense of excitement, but it was still small enough to feel like a small neighborhood. 

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment