Map


View Baseball Road Trips in a larger map

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Land of Enchantment


View Baseball Road Trips in a larger map



As we near the end of August, Baseball Road Trips are heating up. Tomorrow, I depart for the state of New Mexico and the city of Albuquerque. This trip, originally scheduled for last April, has been on my books for a few seasons, and I am very excited to finally go. The itinerary I have planned out has some very unique experiences and adventures that I am eager to face and enjoy. 

The last posting was about the benefits of the "spur-of-the-moment" road trip. While throwing those trips in not necessarily a bad thing, the anticipation and excitement leading up to a road trip that you have spent weeks and months planning just cannot compare. This trip was an immediate destination when I was first thinking of places to go for this season. I had originally planned on going in April, but I had some other things going on and it was necessary to push it forward. By doing this, however, it gave me time to really hammer out what I wanted to do on the trip, get my transportation options sorted out, and iron out the logistics of traveling to New Mexico.

Tomorrow night, I set off on the southbound Amtrak Coast Starlight for an overnight trip to Sacramento. I get into Sacramento at about 6am on Saturday and board an Amtrak bus for about a 45-minute ride to Stockton. Once in Stockton, I board the southbound San Joaquins train all the way to the end of the line in Bakersfield. In Bakersfield, I board another Amtrak bus to Los Angeles. Once in Los Angeles, I board the eastbound Southwest Chief for the overnight trip to Albuquerque. I should be getting into the city at around noon on Sunday. 

After checking-in to my hotel in Albuquerque, I'll board the city bus and visit the sites in the Old Town district of the city. I'm really looking forward to visiting the American International Rattlesnake Museum and the New Mexico Natural History Museum. At the latter museum is a traveling display of artifacts recovered from the Titanic shipwreck. Depending on time, there are some other touristy-things I'd like to take a look at in Old Town including an old church and plaza with vendors and crafts.

At around 4pm, I'll board another city bus for the trip to Isotopes Park and the matchup between the visiting Memphis Redbirds and the home Albuquerque Isotopes. This Triple-A game will be incredibly significant as it will represent my fiftieth different professional ballpark I have been to. Many websites and ballpark reviewers have said that this is one of the best minor league parks in the entire country, so I am very excited to see it for myself. 

On Monday, I will wake up early for breakfast and board another bus north to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Museum. In keeping with the theme of learning more about the communities I'm visiting, I am excited to find out about the history of Native Americans in the area and how they have influenced the modern-day Albuquerque society. 

After the museum, I'll board on more city bus out to the airport and fly back to Portland. I'm taking the late train back to Eugene, so I might grab a bite to eat in Portland, visit Powell's, and maybe grab a drink with a friend before heading back home.

As you can see, this trip has been planned very well to enjoy as many activities as I can in the short time I am in Albuquerque. As always, keep an eye out on social media and this blog for my travels. I am looking forward to sharing this adventure with all of you as Baseball Extravaganza 2013 continues!

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment