Map


View Baseball Road Trips in a larger map

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Major League Ballparks

I'm in the midst of my incredibly long train trip to Albuquerque, and it is time to finally rank my Top Ten Favorite Major League Ballparks. I like to think that this is the last top ten list I need to write, and while I'm traveling on a baseball road trip is an appropriate time. So, without further ado, here we go...

10. Busch Stadium - St. Louis, MO

Located mere yards from the Gateway Arch, Busch Stadium is a fun place to take in a game. The place just oozes with tradition as there are historical markers and statues all over the place. There is no doubting that this is the Cardinals' home venue and that the people of St. Louis support them no matter what. The knock upon it is the price of everything. It is just way too expensive for my simple and frugal tastes. 

9. Coors Field - Denver, CO 

It amazes me that it took so long for me to get out to Denver and see a game at this great park. My favorite seats, upper deck, had one of the best views in all of baseball with the front range of the Rocky Mountains. The only thing that knocks this ballpark down, just like in St. Louis, is the prices. 

8. Nationals Park - Washington DC

My view on this ballpark may change because when I went there last, the Nationals were absolutely horrible. However, Nationals Park is a great ballpark set in a fantastic city. I love being able to take the Metro to the park and walking through the Navy Yard district in DC. The knock against this park is the fact that when I went, it was sparsely attended and the team was awful. 

7. Camden Yards - Baltimore, MD

If I hadn't gone to this park a second time, it may not have made this list. Camden Yards started the trend of the downtown ballparks, and we should all be thankful for that. The places just drips with baseball history as the Babe Ruth Museum is only two blocks away. The ranking is down because of the fans that first game I went to. 

6. Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA

The Moreno family, who owns the Angels, had set the precedence for best organization in profession sports, as indicated in various sporting magazines. There was high expectations when I wen there, and they didn't disappoint. Everything from the costs to the ballpark design was done, I felt, in a way that encouraged the fan to come back again and again. My only strike against it is the car-centric nature of it and the lack of public transportation options. 

5. Petco Park - San Diego, CA

Putting aside that San Diego is just a great city, the ballpark is fantastic in its own right. I love the setting in downtown, the design of incorporating the Western Supply building, and the Park at the Park in centerfield. If it weren't for the fantastic ballparks ahead of it on this list, it would be tops. 

4. AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA

The view makes this a high-ranking park. Set on the San Francisco Bay, you just can't get enough. I also appreciate the effort to incorporate the public transportation into the ballpark through the trains and the trolleys. It is a little expensive, though. 

3. Safeco Field - Seattle, WA 

I'm allowed a little biases in this ranking, am I? But, in all seriousness, the game day atmosphere of walking down Occidental Avenue, the view of the skyscrapers from the upper deck, and the great food choices make this park a top-tier venue. There is a reason why I went to more Mariners games than Ems games this year. 

2. Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL

C'mon folks, it's Wrigley Field. Did you really think I'd have a top ten list and NOT have it? The place is a baseball cathedral, plain and simple. Every fan, whether a die-hard or casual needs to experience Wrigley Field at least once in their lives. The Wrigleyville neighborhood, the Bleacher Creatures or the Bartman seat are all baseball immortality. The upper deck at Wrigley is closer to the field than some seats in the first level at Oakland or old Yankee Stadium. It does cost an arm-and-a-leg to go to a game, but it is worth every penny. 

1. PNC Park - Pittsburgh, PA 

How can a team that is so bad have the best ballpark in all of baseball? Yes, I did say ALL of baseball. The seating is perfect, the view is incredible, the prices are reasonable, and the fans are in to it. Every ballpark I have been to has been compared to this one, and for a very good reason. While Wrigley has the quirks of an old ballpark, sometime you just have to appreciate the modern amenities of a newer park. I just hope that the Pirates make a run to the post season because then the whole nation will get to see this park for what it is. 

Now, let the debate begin! I'm just about ready to head over the Grapevine into LA for my last connection onto Albuquerque. I will talk to all of you tomorrow!  

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment