Map


View Baseball Road Trips in a larger map

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Getting Settled

Welcome back to sunny Southern California! This time, however, things are a bit different. I'm writing you not from a Baseball Road Trip, but my new apartment here in Highland. I have relocated here to take a job at the YMCA, and I've been in the city for about ten days. I am just now just getting settled and I felt that it was a good time to write about the last Baseball Road Trip of the season. My move has opened up the opportunity for on last trip down here, and it will definitely be a doozy. 

When I first got down here, I was hoping that the Dodgers would make it to the World Series. In my head, I thought that the perfect end to Baseball Extravaganza 2013 would be a World Series game in Dodger Stadium in October. Unfortunately, the Dodgers didn't make it, so I started to look elsewhere. 

On November 17, I'm going to drive the two-and-a-half hours to the US-Mexican border. I'm going to park the car and walk across the border into the city of Mexicali. There, I'll make my way to the Estadio CasasGEO to see the Mexican Pacific Professional League Aguilles de Mexicali play. This will be my first time, ever, to Mexico and it will definitely be a Baseball Road Trip for the books. 

A number of things need to happen before I leave, however. First, I need to learn a few phrases in Spanish that will allow me to get to and from the ballpark via a taxi. That is the type of transportation that seems to have the fewest question marks for safety and convenience. In addition, I assume that the ballpark is frequented more by locals rather than tourists, so I may need to speak some Spanish at the park itself during the game. 

Second, and it relates to safety, is the security situation on the border. I'm going to definitely travel with a partner or in a group. I'm also going to make sure that the violence on the border doesn't spill over into Mexicali, which has been relatively spared the carnage that has been in Juarez or Tijuana, by relentlessly watching the news and travel advisories from the State Department. 

Just like with my Spring Training for softball earlier this year, I will update you on my progress with these preparations. My anticipation for this trip is growing by the day as I get more and more acclimated to my new location. 

Things are going well and I'm just glad to be settled into my new position and my new residence. This is going to be an adventure and I'm glad that baseball can fit into it. Most of all, I appreciate all of you keeping up with my blog and sending me your thoughts and comments. All of you are accompanying me on this journey, and I'm so glad to have you. 

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment