Map


View Baseball Road Trips in a larger map

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Opportunity Knocking

In the previous post, I alluded to some major life changes for me. It is time that I reveal what is going on and describe how baseball may just fit into those changes.

Last month, I wrote a post about a trip I made to Southern California for a job interview. I managed to go an Angles game, which was the basis of my post, but I was not specific on what the job interview was or what transpired from it. I can now say that the job I interviewed for was offered to me and I accepted it. I am now the Director of Sports Programming at the Highland Family YMCA in Highland, CA. I am packing up my life here in Oregon and driving down to the Inland Empire and beginning anew. I am leaving tomorrow morning and my first day is this upcoming Friday.

Here's a little bit about what I'm doing and where I'm going: The Highland Family YMCA is part of the overall YMCA of the East Valley system. It is a smaller YMCA, but they are actively looking to grow their programming, specifically in the area of organized athletic leagues. That's where I come in. My experience working for the YMCA here in Eugene has allowed me to gain the confidence and resume to accept this promotion. I'll be a member of the Highland management team and for developing athletic programming. for both youth and adults.

As for Highland, it is a city of about 50,000 just east of San Bernardino. It is about an hour (traffic dependent) from downtown LA, 90-100 minutes from San Diego, and three hours from Las Vegas. Most of the services are out of San Bernardino and nearby Redlands, but there are a few haunts in Highland that I excited to explore. While on my interview, I did have the chance to drive around a little and explore the area. I'm looking forward to becoming knowledgeable about the community and becoming a full-fledged member of it. Just like in Baseball Road Trips, I will keep my eyes and ears open, develop social contacts, be curious of the world around me, and find ways to assimilate myself into the city.

Ok, where does baseball fit in with this? First, I think it is a little ironic that I am relocating to this area only a few years after being a legit tourist on a baseball road trip. Yes, in 2010 I went to San Bernardino and saw a game there. Now, I'm mere minutes from the park and it is on the same bus line as my new apartment. In fact, during my interview, I brought up this trip as an indication of how I attempt to learn as much about the community as I can. Who would've thought that a Baseball Road Trip could open up a career path?

Lots and lots of baseball opportunities are around me. From Highland, I'm five to ten minutes from San Bernardino, twenty to twenty-five minutes to Rancho Cucamonga, 45 minutes from Lake Elsinore, an hour from Adelanto, Los Angeles and Anaheim, ninety minutes from San Diego and two hours from Lancaster. Ladies and gentleman, I'm in the thick of it and come baseball season, I plan on being a busy bee.

In my preparation for departure, I did look at some immediate opportunities for baseball as I go down there for the remainder of this year. There are some, and after I get settled there, I'll bring them up.

I wish I could pass on to all of you the excitement I'm feeling. This is such a great opportunity, and I leave my home in smiles and with confident optimism.

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment